We want you to always know what data we collect from you and how we use it, and that you should have meaningful control over both. We want to allow you to make the best decisions about the information that you share with us.
- PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
2.1 Information needed to use the Pieme Platform.
We collect personal information about you when you use the Pieme Platform. Without it, we may not be able to provide all services requested, we request for more information from Pieme Hosts and this information includes:
- Contact Information, Account, Profile Information. Such as your first name, last name, phone number, email address, date of birth, and profile photo, some of which will depend on the features you use.
- Identity Verification and Payment Information for Hosts. Such as images of your government issued ID (as permitted by applicable laws), your ID number or other required information.
2.2 Information you choose to give us.
You can choose to provide us with additional personal information. This information may include:
- Additional Profile Information. Such as gender, Date of birth, Your interests, Sex and personal description. Some of this information as indicated in your account settings is part of your public profile page and will be publicly visible.
- Address Book Contact Information. Address book contacts you import or enter manually.
- Other Information. Such as when you fill in a form, add information to your account, respond to surveys, post to community forums, participate in promotions, communicate with our customer care team and other Members, or share your experience with us. This may include health information if you choose to share it with us.
2.3 Information Automatically Collected by Using the Pieme Platform
When you use the Pieme Platform and Payment Services, we automatically collect personal information. This information may include:
- Geo-location Information. Such as precise or approximate location determined from your IP address or mobile device’s GPS depending on your device settings. We may also collect this information when you’re not using the app if you enable this through your settings or device permissions.
- Usage Information. Such as the pages or content you view, searches for meals, Recipes you have made, and other actions on the Pieme Platform.
- Log Data and Device Information. Such as details about how you’ve used the Pieme Platform (including if you clicked on links to third party applications), IP address, access dates and times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information, unique identifiers, crash data, cookie data, and the pages you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the Pieme Platform. We may collect this information even if you haven’t created a Pieme account or logged in.
- Payment Transaction Information. Such as payment instrument used, date and time, payment amount, payment instrument expiration date and billing post code, PayPal email address, IBAN information, your address, and other related transaction details.
2.4 Personal Information We Collect from Third Parties.
We collect personal information from other sources, such as:
- Third-Party Services. If you link, connect, or login to the Pieme Platform with a third party service (e.g. Google, Facebook), you direct the service to send us information such as your registration, friends list, and profile information as controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
- Background Information. For Members in Kenya and Uganda, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, we may obtain, for example, reports of criminal records, sex offender registrations, and other information about you and/or your background. For Members outside of the Kenya and Uganda to the extent permitted by applicable laws and with your consent where required, we may obtain the local version of police, background, or registered sex offender checks. We may use your information, including your full name and date of birth, to obtain such reports.
- Referrals and co-Guests. If you are invited to the Pieme Platform, such as a co-Guest on a Meal or Event, the person who invited you can submit personal information about you such as your email address or other contact information.
- Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you, such as references, demographic data, or information to help detect fraud and safety issues from third party service providers and/or partners, and combine it with information we have about you.
- HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
3.1 Provide, Improve, and Develop the Pieme Platform. Such as to:
- enable you to access the Pieme Platform create Meals and receive meal Requests from guests, and Payments
- enable you to communicate with other Pieme users,
- process your request,
- perform analytics, debug and conduct research,
- provide customer service, training,
- send you messages, updates, security alerts, and account notifications,
- if you provide us with your contacts’ information, such as your friends or co-Guests, we may process this information: (i) to facilitate your referral invitations, (ii) to share your trip details and facilitate trip planning, (iii) for fraud detection and prevention, and (iv) to facilitate your requests or for any other purpose you authorize,
- personalize and customize your experience based on your interactions with the Pieme Platform, your search and meal request history, Recipes you like most your profile information and preferences, and other content you submit, and
- enable your use of our other Pieme features.
3.2 Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment. Including to:
- detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security and safety incidents, and other harmful activity,
- study and combat discrimination
- conduct security investigations and risk assessments,
- verify or authenticate information provided by you,
- conduct checks against databases and other information sources, including background or police checks,
- comply with our legal obligations, protect the health and well-being of our Guests, Hosts, Hosts’ employees, and members of the public,
- resolve disputes with our Members, including sharing information with your co-Host or additional Guests about disputes related to your role as a co-Host or additional Guest,
- enforce our agreements with third parties,
- comply with law, respond to legal requests, prevent harm, and protect our rights
- In connection with the activities above, we may conduct profiling based on your interactions with the Pieme Platform, your profile information and other content you submit to Pieme, and information obtained from third parties. In limited cases, automated processes, which analyze your account and activities on the Pieme platform as well as information in relation to activities on and off the Pieme platform that can be associated with you, could restrict or suspend access to the Pieme Platform if such processes detect activity that may pose a safety or other risk to Pieme, our community, or third parties. If you would like to challenge decisions based on automated processes, please contact us via [email protected]
3.3 Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing. For example to:
- send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information based on your preferences and social media advertising through social media platforms,
- personalize, measure, and improve our advertising,
- administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Pieme or its third-party partners,
- analyze characteristics and preferences to send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that we think might be of interest to you, and
- invite you to events and relevant opportunities.
3.4 Provide Payment services. Personal information is used to enable, or authorize third parties to use, Payment Services such as to:
- detect and prevent money laundering, fraud, abuse, and security incidents,
- conduct security investigations and risk assessments,
- comply with legal obligations (such as anti-money laundering regulations),
- enforce the payment terms and other payment policies,
- with your consent, send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences, and
- provide and improve Payment Services.
- SHARING & DISCLOSURE
4.1 Sharing With Your Consent or at Your Direction.
Where you provide consent, we share your information as described at the time of consent, such as when authorizing a third-party application or website to access your Pieme account or participating in promotional activities by Pieme partners or third parties.
Where permissible under applicable law, we may use certain information about you such as your email address, de-identify it, and share it with social media platforms to generate leads, drive traffic to Pieme, or otherwise promote our products and services.
4.2 Sharing Between Members.
To help facilitate meal and event bookings or other interactions between Members, we may need to share certain information such as:
- When a booking request is made, when there is a co-host, or a dispute is submitted, certain information may be shared between Guest(s) and Host(s), including profile, name, names of any additional Guests, cancellation history, review information, age of guest (unless prohibited by applicable law), dispute outcome (when applicable), and other information you choose to share and submit. When a booking is confirmed, additional information is shared to assist with coordinating the meal order, like profile photo and names. When you as a Host have a confirmed the meal or event booking, certain information is shared with the Guest (and any additional Guests they invite, if applicable) to coordinate the booking, such as your profile, full name, phone number, and your address.
- When you as a Host invite another Member to host with you, you authorize that person to access and update your information and Member Content, including, but not limited to, certain information like your full name, profile image, address, calendar, meal or Event information and meal or event photos.
4.3 Information You Publish in Profiles, Meals or Events created on Pieme, and other Public Information.
Certain information is publicly visible to others, such as:
- Your public profile page, which includes your profile photo, first name and your about information
- Listed meals and events pages that include information such as the Meal costs, event tickets price, Previous Guests or Hosts Experience inform of ratings and reviews, number of meals you have ordered, your average response and Delivery time will be shown to users interested in becoming Guests or Hosting the User on Pieme platform
- Reviews, ratings, and other public feedback.
- Content in Event group chats with other guests to the Event.
We may display parts of your public profile and other Content you make available to the public like Recipes, Pies, meal or event details on third-party sites, platforms, and apps.
Information you share publicly on the Pieme Platform may be indexed through third-party search engines.
4.4 Host Service Providers.
Hosts may use third-party services to help manage or deliver their meals, such as Delivery service providers.
4.5 Complying with Law, Responding to Legal Requests, Preventing Harm and Protecting our Rights.
We may disclose your information to courts, law enforcement, governmental or public authorities, tax authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required or permitted to do so by law or where disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (i) comply with our legal obligations, (ii) comply with a valid legal request (such as a subpoena or court order) or to respond to claims asserted against Pieme, (iii) respond to a valid legal request relating to a criminal investigation to address alleged or suspected illegal activity, or to respond to or address any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal or regulatory liability, (iv) protect the rights, property or personal safety of Pieme, its employees, its Members, or members of the public. For example, if permitted due to the foregoing circumstances, Host tax information may be shared with tax authorities or other governmental agencies.
Where appropriate, we may notify Members about legal requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon or harm to Pieme, our Members, or expose Pieme to a claim of obstruction of justice.
Where legally required or permissible according to applicable law, we may disclose Hosts’ and/or Guests’ information to tax authorities for the purpose of the tax authorities’ determination of proper compliance with relevant tax obligations. Relevant tax obligations include Pieme’s tax obligations on its service fees, its facilitation of taxes on meal and event orders and withholding taxes, and Hosts’ individual tax obligations. Information that may be disclosed includes, but is not limited to, Host and Guest names, meal or event Hosting addresses, Host addresses, tax/business identification number(s), date of birth, and/or contact information, property parcel identification numbers, payout information, transaction dates and amounts, number of times Guests booked meals or events, gross and net meal and event booking value and payout amounts, taxes collected by Pieme on behalf of Guests and Hosts, to the extent any of this information is known by Pieme.
In jurisdictions where Pieme facilitates or requires a registration, notification, permit, or license application or number of a Host with a governmental authority, we may share information of participating Hosts with the relevant authority, both during the application process, when the meal or event is published, and periodically thereafter, such as the Host’s full name and contact details, Host address, tax identification number, registration, permit, or license number, Meal or event details, reservation information, and number of orders booked subject to applicable laws.
4.6 Host Information Provided to Pieme for Work Customers.
If a booking is designated as being for a business or work purpose and (1) is made by a Guest affiliated with an Enterprise and (2) the Enterprise is enrolled in Pieme for Work, we may disclose information related to the booking to the Enterprise (e.g., name of the Host, Accommodation address, booking dates, Listing details, etc.) to the extent necessary for the adequate performance of Pieme’s contract with the Enterprise and to provide the services. At the request of the Enterprise or the Guest, we may also share this information with third parties engaged by the Enterprise to provide support services.
4.7 Service Providers.
We share personal information with affiliated and unaffiliated service providers to help us run our business and for their compliance purposes, including service providers that help us: (i) verify your identity or authenticate your identification documents, (ii) check information against public databases, (iii) conduct background or police checks, fraud prevention and risk assessment, (iv) perform product development, maintenance and debugging, (v) allow the provision of the Pieme Services through third-party platforms and software tools (e.g. through the integration with our APIs), (vi) provide customer service, advertising, or payments services, or (vii) process, handle or assess insurance claims or similar claims. These providers are contractually bound to protect your personal information and have access to your personal information to perform these tasks.
4.8 Business Transfers.
4.9 Corporate Affiliates.
To support us in providing, integrating, promoting and improving the Pieme Platform, Payment Services, and our affiliates’ services, we may share personal information within our corporate family of companies that are related by common ownership or control, For example
- Public data. Information you share publicly on the Pieme Platform.
- Creating a meal or event on Pieme. If you create a meal or event in Kenya, information shared includes: (i) your name, address, email address, user ratings and Reviews about your previous orders will be shown to anyone who checks it out.
- OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
5.1 Analyzing your Communications.
We may review, scan, or analyze your communications on the Pieme Platform for reasons outlined in the “How We Use Information We Collect” section of this policy, including fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, analytics, enforcing our terms of service and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other sites. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyze messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible. Occasionally we may need to manually review communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyze your messaging communications to send third-party marketing messages to you and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
5.2 Third-Party Partners & Integrations.
- YOUR RIGHTS
You can exercise any of the rights described in this section consistent with applicable law.
6.1 Managing Your Information.
You can access and update some of your personal information through your Account settings.
6.2 Data Access and Portability.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to request certain copies of your personal information or information about how we handle your personal information, request copies of personal information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format, and/or request that we transmit this information to another service provider (where technically feasible).
6.3 Data Erasure.
In some jurisdictions, you can request that your personal information be deleted. Please note that if you request deletion of your personal information, or if your account is suspended, terminated, or voluntarily closed:
- We may retain your personal information as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as prevention of money laundering, fraud detection and prevention, and enhancing safety. For example, if we suspend a Pieme Account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain information from that Pieme Account to prevent that Member from opening a new Pieme Account in the future.
- We may retain and use your personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations. For example, Pieme and Pieme Payments may keep information for tax, legal reporting, and auditing obligations.
- Information you have shared with others (e.g., Reviews, meals, events, Recipe or Pies) will continue to be publicly visible on Pieme, even after your Pieme Account is canceled. However, attribution of such information to you will be removed. Some copies of your information (e.g., log records) will remain in our database, but are disassociated from personal identifiers.
- Because we take measures to protect data from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your personal information may not be removed from our backup systems for a limited period of time.
While no organization can guarantee perfect security, we are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration.
- CONTACT INFORMATION AND RESPONSIBLE PIEME ENTITIES
Effective: May 1st, 2022